Super seemingly indulgent yet healthy/no-guilt treat up ahead: a dairy-free “milkshake” made strictly from coconut milk, ground almonds, dates, coconut, and cocoa. Plus it’s good for enhancing energy, fertility, hormonal stabilization, combating depression and great for immunity. I think I’ve found my favorite super food smoothie… erm, milkshake. Maca Almond Joy Milkshake. And it’s vegan, too. Say what?!
I discovered the original recipe on Edible Perspective‘s blog recently and have had the tab up in my browser for the last week, drooling over the yumminess before my eyes every time I accidentally clicked on it. (I’m the girl with 30 tabs open in a window at a time…recipes stay open as “to-do lists”, projects I will eventually get to this week…or sometime relatively soon/within the next year. Ha!). Well today I had a nice day off. It was treat-yo-self day. I didn’t have my Italian class to attend to. I went trail running in Forest Park, splurged an overpriced eight dollar pressed green juice at a co-op, purchased a new nail polish color, bought a new shower curtain liner (so fancy, I know), baked some chocolate donuts (that’s coming soon!), and carved out some time to make this shake. With a few slight modifications, I can tell this is going to be in regular rotation from here on out. Do yourself a favor and get to freezin’ those coconut milk ice cubes. You won’t be sorry.
Also- have you heard of maca root powder before? My guy is really into taking the supplements and recently bought a tub of the powder to add to smoothies, and I’m really enjoying it. Maca that I’ve had in the past turned me off with it’s chalky-like texture, but this stuff we’ve got right now by Gaia is pretty bomb and tasteless. I won’t go into all of the benefits here, but you can do a little research yourself and see how it can be beneficial in several arenas. I’m trying to get in the habit of adding it to my routine regularly to see a difference. I’ll keep you posted. Needless to say, this is a great and super tasty way to get some maca into your life!
- 1 cup light canned coconut milk, divided into ½ cups
- 3 Tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 Tablespoons smooth unsalted almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon maca root powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chunks
- Prepare ahead of time (night or few hours before): rapidly shake can of coconut milk so that the liquids and solids are combined, then measure ½ cup of the milk and pour into ice cube molds (if you have square molds, it should make about 6 ice cubes).
- Once ice cubes have frozen, place ice cubes, ½ cup coconut milk, coconut flakes, almond butter, maca powder, cocoa powder, dates, and vanilla extract in a blender. Add the chocolate chunks, pulsing until the chocolate is finely distributed throughout the shake with a little bit of crunchiness still.
- Serve topped with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, coconut flakes or more chocolate chips. It's super delicious, thick and creamy no matter what!