So I’ll just start off by saying I was a bit skeptical, I have to admit. Peanut butter AND bacon?! Are you nuts?!? But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Bacon is showing up in everything these days, it seems. From bacon chocolate bars, to chocolate chip bacon pancake mixes, bacon cupcakes, bacon ice cream, bacon wrapped dates (aka. “Juno’s pregnant dates“), to bacon gum and dental floss, umm, you get the picture. It’s taking over the world. These cookies will take over the world.
I’m not a big meat eater. Especially red meat. Especially bacon. But every now and then, the sweet, salty, smokey maple flavor of fat and grease can sometimes be the perfect topping to a cobb salad or sandwiched in between a BLAT (the one’s WITH avocado… I won’t do it otherwise). So I figured this could be an exception. The ingredients were super simple, too. Five ingredients only, to be exact. Keeps the cost down, as well. And they’re gluten-free! With all of these great reviews coming from this wonderful baker, I was convinced. And you should be, too.
Seriously. Best. Cookies. Ever. Probably in the top 5 things I’ve made so far this year, no joke. I never would have thought. But I’m a believer now. My first bite into one of these, my eyes rolled into the back of my head. And I’m so glad I had some organic, raw milk on hand, too. That topped it off. I was in foodie heaven, happy as could be. The absence of the flour and butter was unnoticeable by the gooey and soft texture of the fantastic peanut butter that was a great platform for the bacon to be the shining star, front and center. Excellent balance between the two. I will make these from now until eternity for any special event or just for the hell of it. I already know that I will be making a batch of these for my boss when I leave next month as a going away gift of appreciation (after being there for 5 years!). I know he’ll love ’em. And you will too!
Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies
adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook & Joy The Baker
makes 15 cookies about the size of your palm
- 1 cup all-natural chunky or smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar (can be half brown and half white)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-6 slices of bacon, cooked, cooled, and diced
- In a skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until cooked through and let cool on paper towels until cool enough to dice. Dice up and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a baking sheet with butter and set aside. In a mixer combine peanut butter and sugars until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add egg and baking soda and mix for another 2 minutes. Fold in cooked bacon. Roll into large walnut sized balls and create a cris-cross pattern with a fork. If you’d like, roll the dough balls in granulated sugar before making the cris-cross pattern.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a baking sheet for five minutes, then gobble them up with a glass of milk!