Cardamom Vanilla Bean Cashew Milk

cashewblender

Ever since I took the dive and purchased a magical VitaMix last year, I’ve wanted to try my hand at making homemade nut milk. Since Vitamix’s are critically acclaimed to be the best at making nut milks, that was one of my top three reasons for justifying the purchase. It was a long back and forth battle–do I really need it? Can’t I just get away with my simple vintage hand-me-down Oster blender that I’d been using for years to make smoothies? It took me awhile to finally feel ready and take the plunge, but I did it and honestly, it has been a huge help in the kitchen. On top of being able to make marvelous green smoothies that include everything but the kitchen sink, it acts as my backup food processor. And processes food, it does! I was amazed that this nut milk was so dang simple to create… I can’t believe it has taken this long for me to get my butt into gear and actually make it!

Read More »

Print Friendly

Friday Favorites // Week 3: April 2015

Milk Glass Mrkt | Portland, Or

(Milk Glass Mrkt, N. Portland)

How has everyone’s week been? This crazy up and down unpredictable Spring weather has me in a bit of a tizzy. My body never really knows how to calibrate to the sudden changes. There are moments when it just starts pouring down hail for 5 minutes straight, then it’s super sunny, then it’s frigid and rainy. My emotions have definitely been mimicking this up and down madness also. I’ve been a little bit of a funk but I’m totally blaming it on lack of sleep and being way too busy. There are gigantic mounds of 4(ish) loads of unfolded laundry piled up on the living room floor and chair in the bedroom. I haven’t folded laundry for ten plus days. (I’ve been on a much needed laundry duty vacay.) I haven’t washed any dishes other than my coffee mugs (thankfully I’m not the primary dishwasher around here–dishes are my #1 nemesis) and I have no creative energy to think of recipes or bake. I blame it all on exhaustion. On a positive note…

Read More »

Print Friendly

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Tart

chocolatepeanutbutterpretzel-3588

You may notice things look a little different around here on The Baking Bird… that’s because I, alongside a wonderful graphic designer and my SEO-savvy boyfriend, have been working our butts off for the last month and a half to get it all going! About two months ago, I was itching for a change. I started having thoughts about giving this food blogging thing a serious go, wanting to research as much as possible about turning this into a business, and I realized it was time to start taking myself to the next professional level.

Read More »

Print Friendly

White Chocolate Coconut Cream Scones with Lime Glaze

coconutscones-1-38

Fun fact: 75% of the liquid I ingest comes from sparkling water. The other 25% is roughly comprised of regular water, coffee, and some beer here and there. I absolutely love sparkling water, or as some call it, “glitter water” (totally something my 5 year old self would say). If I’m ever stranded on a desert island, please drop off a case of a million La Croix sparkling water cans ASAP. This flavor in particular.

Read More »

Print Friendly

Friday Favorites // Week 4: March 2015

Happy Friday folks! The weather is beginning to heat up in Portland (it was in the 70s yesterday!) and I’m already plugging in my air conditioner. Yes, I’m a wimp in the heat. I really can’t stand anything above 75. And honestly, I really dread it. I can’t function properly. My brain turns to mush. I don’t sleep well. I know I’m in the minority (like probably 1%?) of people that don’t like the heat at all. But I’ll welcome the longer days, for sure.

Read More »

Print Friendly